Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WTB: Homelink Garage Door Opener (anyone have on in a parts car or something?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTB: Homelink Garage Door Opener (anyone have on in a parts car or something?)

The homelink garage door opener in my Passat is acting up. VW says the CPO warranty will not cover it, and they quoted 750$ for a new sun visor with the module in it... lol

I removed the module, and it is possible that the little black box is common among other cars I would think. Anyone have a parts car or a visor kicking around that has a homelink module in it?

I have an email off to homelink to see if they will supply just the module, but I have my doubts...

Cheers
    Stefan
    -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
    -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
    -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
    -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Re: WTB: Homelink Garage Door Opener (anyone have on in a parts car or something?)

My second one died in the a4 last winter and it's $1500 from the dealer.

Could use one too :(

Pat

His
    1989 Porsche Carrera 4 // 5 Speed // Guards Red

Hers
    1987 VW Cabriolet // 20VT // O2J // Recaros // Porsche Slate Grey // Ronal Turbos // FK Coilovers

2005 Porsche Cayenne S

Theirs
    1977 VW Type 2 Westfalia

Gone
    2004 Audi A4 1.8T // quattro // 6 Speed // Brilliant Red
    Fully built 1.8T || AEB || Motoza tuned || ID1000 || S4 MAF || GT3076R

Comment

Re: WTB: Homelink Garage Door Opener (anyone have on in a parts car or something?)

I forgot to mention to you Stefan if it is an intermittent problem I might be able to fix it, likely a bad solder joint or something.
      Name: Brent
      His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
      Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
      Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

It's not a solder. I see that is a common problem for the wires to wear after flipping the visor, but in my case, power is there all the time. The programming is getting messed up.

onceover - if it is a Homelink issue, and not a lack of power issue, I think I have a 30$ fix for mine. I'll post it all up if successful. It would seem that once you pull of the VW trim in my Passat, the module underneath is the same as what several chryslers and lincons use. I have an ebay module coming from a Sebring that is visually identical, and at least some of the markings/part numbers are common. Will update if it works.
        Stefan
        -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
        -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Replace the visor with one from a Jetta that is a straight up Visor, then replace the rear view mirror with a Homelink Version. I'm happy with mine, Auto Dimming too. Maybe go all out and get a mirror with a rear view camera screen integrated.

Comment

Originally posted by TDI DUB View Post
            Replace the visor with one from a Jetta that is a straight up Visor, then replace the rear view mirror with a Homelink Version. I'm happy with mine, Auto Dimming too. Maybe go all out and get a mirror with a rear view camera screen integrated.
            Thought about this too. If plan A doesn't work, I'll probably go for a mirror.
            Stefan
            -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

What about an Audi A4 Visor, they seem to have better reliability, can you pull the Home link module off of one of them?

Comment

The homelink module in a4s is in the front bumper under the passenger headlight

Pat

His

Hers
                1987 VW Cabriolet // 20VT // O2J // Recaros // Porsche Slate Grey // Ronal Turbos // FK Coilovers

2005 Porsche Cayenne S

Theirs
                1977 VW Type 2 Westfalia

Gone

Comment

Oh, like it's split up into 2 pieces?

Originally posted by onceover View Post
                  The homelink module in a4s is in the front bumper under the passenger headlight

Comment

The buttons in the sunvisor are just directly wired to the module in the bumper I believe

Pat

His

Hers

2005 Porsche Cayenne S

Theirs
                    1977 VW Type 2 Westfalia

Gone

Comment

ahh, my passat's buttons go directly in to the homelink module.
                      Stefan
                      -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Working...
                      X