Did I get ripped off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did I get ripped off?

I just took a chance (the dealings were 'unique' ) and bought a 1997 5dr VW Golf GL Turbo Diesel. The kms are only 110775! So was this individual seriously hard up for cash or did I get ripped off?

Starter Star
    97 Golf, Black Beauty!
    Last edited by Starter Star; 01-28-2006, 01:38 PM.

Re: Did I get ripped off?

Originally posted by Starter Star
    I just took a chance (the dealings were 'unique' ) and bought a 1997 5dr VW Golf GL Turbo Diesel. It's from Ontario so the rust is questionable, not too much visible though rusty bolts a problem when doing mechanical work. The kms are only 110775! So was this individual seriously hard up for cash or did I get ripped off?

Starter Star
    97 Golf, Black Beauty!
    You might want to give some details of the purchase such as asking price, vehicle condition etc. Kind of hard to determine whether you git ripped off with the info provided!
    Derek
    Derek

-2008 Avus Silver RS4-Fat ass II
    -1996 C4S-Fat Ass
    -2007 FJ Cruiser-6 speed

Comment

Depends on so many things. Any car that old will have rust bolts. The thing to watch for is if the propper bolts where replaced when the last timming belt was done. It is a known problem for them to brake therfor causing all types of problems. A really thorough examination by someone who knows the engine would be the best preventative maintenance.
      Name: Brent
      His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
      Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
      Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Originally posted by GINCH
        You might want to give some details of the purchase such as asking price, vehicle condition etc. Kind of hard to determine whether you git ripped off with the info provided!
        Derek
        I was staying away from giving away the asking price off the start...wanted to feel out what one of the sort might be worth... The seller was the second driver and seemed to love his car...and didn't seem to REALLY drive it. 5th gear is really stiff and considering the kms he didn't take it cruising like I have been and surely will continue (East coast in July) It is from Ontario and get this, he didn't even drive it here...he shipped it out via train! Again only 110kms...so how easy is it to crank that back? Rust on body is minimal, just a bit around windshield and around license plate area, yup I checked the door area and none...strange for an Ontario car. Unfortunately I bargained and didn't get a full mechanical inspection prior to purchase (A mistake I'll likely only make once!). So is a car of the sort in the $6,000 range, $8,000 range or $10,000 range? Tell me I didn't get screwed!

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall
          Depends on so many things. Any car that old will have rust bolts. The thing to watch for is if the propper bolts where replaced when the last timming belt was done. It is a known problem for them to brake therfor causing all types of problems. A really thorough examination by someone who knows the engine would be the best preventative maintenance.
          timming belt...that's something that worried me. Seller said he didn't get it done...first thing I did was that! South Centre did it, so the proper bolts better of been used!! I've put in $1000 of work already and was looking to determine if this car is a keeper or a trade in before I put more in. I believe what's next is the clutch...she grabs 'late' (not close to the floor)...am I making sense? I lack mechanical knowledge, especially terminology.

Comment

Sorry to jump in here and sound a bit rude, but you really aren't making a lot of sense dude, sounds like you bought a car that you didn't want to begin with, now you're all paranoihc about it..............what is the big deal with keeping what you paid for a secret??.......your thinking of fliping it and don't want people to know how much you got it for???..........you need to do your homework on these particular model of golf, like for example, go to www.canadatrader.com and other similar websites to find out what they're going for......just my 2 cents..........I also think it's a lil'late to be worrying if you got ripped off or not.....don't you think?
            Honda...the illusion of Speed!!

Comment

Also without seeing the car I don't think we can give you an estimate as to what we think it should sell for either! Not that any of us are professional estimators of car value anyhow.

Anyhow, its a little late to worry, if you want a "quick" estimate, just ask what the dealer will give you as a trade-in. Then you will definitely feel ripped off!
              KR
              Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

South centre would have replaced everything that should be replaced. Plus since it is a known issue and a dealership did it you could always hit them up for f*in it up which I am sure they didn't. As for the clutch high engagement doesn't mean it is going, more then likely the clutch cable has just stretched over time and just needs to be adjusted.
                Name: Brent
                His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
                Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
                Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

$7200, and about $1500 in repairs...so far...screwed or not, it's too late now to *****/stress/worry/etc.

Comment

Working...
                  X