X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• selling 03 Jetta 1.8T, need advice

so heres my ad:
    http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ355547247

Price is a bit high, but i think its worth it for a clean Jetta. Negotiable.

Im selling it to import a 1996 GC8 STi from Japan, 275hp/240tq, Recaros, 2600lbs, AWD. Not really sure if i should though. What do you guys think?

Looks something like this. Not the most attractive car, i know lol
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Jugomutt; 02-16-2012, 04:11 PM.

Re: selling 03 Jetta 1.8T, need advice

I've always loved that gen of STI. RHD is lame though

Pat

His
    1989 Porsche Carrera 4 // 5 Speed // Guards Red

Hers
    1987 VW Cabriolet // 20VT // O2J // Recaros // Porsche Slate Grey // Ronal Turbos // FK Coilovers

2005 Porsche Cayenne S

Theirs
    1977 VW Type 2 Westfalia

Gone
    2004 Audi A4 1.8T // quattro // 6 Speed // Brilliant Red
    Fully built 1.8T || AEB || Motoza tuned || ID1000 || S4 MAF || GT3076R

Comment

Originally posted by onceover View Post
      I thought that this only came in RHD unfortunately. but the performance compared to the US versions is far far superior. Tough call.

Comment

Originally posted by onceover View Post
        i agree, to both comments. Not a RHD fan. It's got a cool uniqueness, but is ultimately awkward and unsafe.
        Stefan
        -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
        -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
        -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
        -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Really glad to see unbiased VW FOR LYFE replys haha. The Lhd version was available in North America but only non-turbo, real hard to find (in Canada), and most of them are probably rusted out winter cars.
          I've driven my buddy's RHD type R a few times and your right, its awkward, but it seems that most people who drive RHD sell their cars to upgrade for another JDM lol. What ive heard is it just takes some getting used to.
          It's just the way older cars are built that makes them so fun, the Jetta's got some decent power but its been a long time since iv had the "cant wait to drive" feeling that i miss. its too soft for me in my opinion.

Comment

This isn't vortex.

If I was to get a JDM it would probably be an older subie like that, when I was originally looking for cars I was kinda looking at those/older evo's, AWD stuff.

Instead I got a Jetta, now its CEL FOR LYFE.
            Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
            2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

I've driven RHD quite a bit and it's not bad once you get used to it. Turning left and overtaking can be a pain though. I have actually looked at getting one of these cars myself. They look like a lot of fun!
              Levi.W
              78 BMW 635CSi - Project
              91 Mercedes 190E 2.6 - Daily

Comment

As long as you can be calm and willing to wait, RHD is alright, if you are some young punk who wants to drive fast, you are going to head on someone trying to pass on a single lane highway.
                Calgary Autoworks

2004.5 Jetta GLI
                2005 Audi Allroad

Comment

Originally posted by BaggedGLI View Post
                  As long as you can be calm and willing to wait, RHD is alright, if you are some young punk who wants to drive fast, you are going to head on someone trying to pass on a single lane highway.
                  people buy RHD, because its cheap speed, and typically the owners are young.
                  i wouldn't be caught dead in another RHD(owned one for a while)
                  i agree the cars are cool, but I'm MOST cases, the cars are too much for the young owners to handle.
                  i know you have probably heard this before, but statistics don't lie.
                  ~~TODD~~
                  '12 x5 35d fully deleted (DUDMD Stg2)

Comment

^^ high school kids shouldnt be driving high powered cars at all. Im turning 20 in august and have been driving since i got my learners at 14 lol. Sorta scary but from what iv read, the STis supposed to be relatively easy to drive compared to skylines, 300zx, 240sx etc.. but seeing as you own one you'd know more about that

Comment

RHD seems to be a novelty that would wear off quite quick. How do you see past an opposing vehicle, when making a left hand turn, on a yeild on solid green? You can hardly do it in a normal car. Doesn't help that everyone in this city owns a truck or SUV

Comment

Whats wrong with RHD, I drive it all the time on this side of the pond.. hehe

Good choice of car. My friends brother bought one many moons ago on this side of the pond. Big fan of that gen. Very quick car, lots of fun, (you WILL have fun). But he ended up selling it after a few months as it was too fast and did not have everyday comfort of a Vdub.

Not driven RHD on the wrong side of the road, so can't say. But if I was buying I'd do some homework and speak to some drivers who drive RHD vehicles.
                        Current: 2002 Zonda CRV
                        2004 VW MK4 1.8T GTI
                        2001 Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec (European)

Comment

After alot of research i realize:
                          1. The version 3 is factory tuned to run on 96 octane
                          2. Driving with 91 will most likely lead to spinning the rod bearing = kaboom
                          3. There is no reflash currently available for the v3(obd1), only standalones with cost upwards of $1000, plus hours getting someone to tune it, which many people aren't able/willing to
                          4. Looking at getting an R32 GTR or version 2 STi for year round DD

Comment

DD? I'm sorry, but thats a terrible idea.

Do you know how hard it is to find parts should anything go wrong, how expensive they will be to import, and how long it will take to get them in?

I love R32 GTR's, but I would never want one as a DD. It's just not a practical idea.

Pat

His
                            1989 Porsche Carrera 4 // 5 Speed // Guards Red

Hers
                            1987 VW Cabriolet // 20VT // O2J // Recaros // Porsche Slate Grey // Ronal Turbos // FK Coilovers

2005 Porsche Cayenne S

Theirs
                            1977 VW Type 2 Westfalia

Gone
                            2004 Audi A4 1.8T // quattro // 6 Speed // Brilliant Red
                            Fully built 1.8T || AEB || Motoza tuned || ID1000 || S4 MAF || GT3076R

Comment

Japan, I'm pretty sure, uses RON for their octane ratings. So a 96 RON octane rating is the equivalent to our 91 AKI rating.

More research required?

Read about it here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating
                              Last edited by Ur0Drivr; 02-22-2012, 11:24 AM.
                              --
                              Rod
                              Ex-presidente

Drive

2016 VW Golf .:R

Drove
                              2001.5 Audi S4 / Santorin Blue STAGE II+ / JFonz Tuned

Comment

Working...
                              X