Tyrolsport SMIC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyrolsport SMIC

I would like to guage interest on the tyrolsport upgraded side mount intercooler. Not to be confused with the forge one that does not perform any better than stock. This one has some excellent test results and is quite obviously much bigger than the stocker. I have been over all the independant review and it always impresses those who fit it. The major advantages it has over a front mount are the fact that you do not need all the new piping, it does not need any bumper triming,it keeps the pipe lengths low for least lag and it will be cheaper!!

It is listed at $750US but depending on interest I am going to see what I can do about the price
    EU Tuning
    European Performance Products
    www.eutuning.ca
    slomas@upsolute.com

Re: Tyrolsport SMIC

Nice looking piece!
    Blair
    Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Yes.. quite a bit bigger than the stock one. And bigger volume actually than many frony mounts!
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Boy Racer; 02-10-2006, 04:39 PM.
      EU Tuning
      www.eutuning.ca
      slomas@upsolute.com

Comment

Would this be the same replacemant for the diesel's I may be game for this
        Chris :

2004 Jetta TDI Sport SOLD
        2010 Toyota Tundra CrewCab TRD

Comment

Originally posted by JettaSport
          Would this be the same replacemant for the diesel's I may be game for this

Yes this fits diesels and 1.8Ts
          EU Tuning
          www.eutuning.ca
          slomas@upsolute.com

Comment

There has been a lot of talk about these on AW as well..
            The only problems seem to be the price.. for a few hundred more you can get full piping and connectors with a FMIC while these use stock piping and dont fit the IC shrouds.
            A much more cost effective route (Maybe look into this Simon) is the RS4 intercoolers... the left side for sure fits with minor modification, and the right is rumored to fit the left as well.

Comment

Originally posted by R-Audi
              There has been a lot of talk about these on AW as well..
              The only problems seem to be the price.. for a few hundred more you can get full piping and connectors with a FMIC while these use stock piping and dont fit the IC shrouds.
              A much more cost effective route (Maybe look into this Simon) is the RS4 intercoolers... the left side for sure fits with minor modification, and the right is rumored to fit the left as well.
              Good comments, you are right that it is only a few hundred more for a front mount kit. I guess it is a question of simplicity.. There are definately downsides to getting an intercooler kit fitted up behind our bumpers and after trimming 2 bumpers for FMIC's (minor trimming as stated has never been my experience, and usually a very stressful one with some pretty bad aesthetic consequenses if things go wrong). I was looking for a solution that didnt require that again. There is some trimming to be done but it looks to be nice and easy and well out of eyesight. That being said.. you definately don't get the look that a front mount gives and there definately is a place for that and if that is what you want then I certainly have a few options that I can offer people.

Here though, I was looking for something that did not require custom pipes made (TDi's arent often catered for in the 'kit pipes') and by all accounts this SMIC solution is or almost is as effective as a FMIC (I guess you could say for a few hundred less ).

RS4 intercoolers is an interesting one and yes they seem to be fairly well priced but would require both sides fitted to be as effective as they are still not as large as the Tyrolsport (by a long way) and again would require custom piping and fittings so putting this back into the custom realm again but this definately gives me another option to offer customers. Here are some dimensions of the S4, RS4 and AWE intercoolers...
              http://www.awe-tuning.com/pages/shar...4+intercoolers

Tyrolsport has a core volume of 355 cu in.
              EU Tuning
              www.eutuning.ca
              slomas@upsolute.com

Comment

Is there much if any difference between core volume and exposed core volume?
                The main thing I notice with other SMIC (RS4, AWE etc) is that they provide their own or use stock IC shrouds. These shrouds become almost as important as they direct the incoming flow of air. I guess in the case of an A4 there are a few options that dont need you to hack your bumper (My Evo for example) and in that case, besides the Stealthness of the Tyrol, the price is too close to not choose the more effiecent IC with better piping.(In this case being the FMIC)
                I guess what would make me think more about the Tyrol is if they included upgraded hoses with them.. whether or not they would increase the cooling effiecency or just percieved value I think they would be better off.

RS4 intercoolers for comparison can be had for around $700usd for a PAIR. While they may not be as large, an RS4 is pushing out more then most VW's or Audi's.
                Last edited by R-Audi; 02-11-2006, 01:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Boy Racer
                  Yes.. quite a bit bigger than the stock one. And bigger volume actually than many frony mounts!
                  and I am personally nominating myself to be the "guinea pig", so I expect my FREE intercooler to arrive at my house shortly.....I'll update you guys as soon as this happens *wink wink nudge nudge*
                  2006 Colorado Xtreme | AEM CAI | Walker exhaust | smoked glass | -1" dropped rear | Avic D3 | 8000K HID's
                  2002 GTI 1.8t | C1 SS | Upsolute 94 oct | Brullen 2.5" DP | Supersprint catback | Poly mounts | 19" Privat's | FK 55 kit | Projector lights | EVOMS CAI
                  2000 GSXR750 | Hindle Race exhaust | Telefonica replica | K&N intake | Custom ECU

Comment

sweet! alex

i'm going to upgrade to a set of RS4 ICs myself.. 650US for both then 300ish for hoses so not too shabby IMO

Comment

I can't seem to find how much of a difference in performance there is between the tyrolsport one and the BoostFactory one. I do see a $250US price difference though!
                      1.8T
                      Not quite stock anymore...

Comment

Originally posted by Flanders
                        I can't seem to find how much of a difference in performance there is between the tyrolsport one and the BoostFactory one. I do see a $250US price difference though!
                        You willl never see the full advantage of intercoolers on a dyno.. fans cannot re-create the cooling power of driving.

Comment

Ahem.. guys (i.e. those who might actually be interested in buying an intercooler for Mk4s).. Tyrolsport?
                          EU Tuning
                          www.eutuning.ca
                          slomas@upsolute.com

Comment

Mark, it seems you are right about the $$, I thought I could get them down on the price but it doesnt look good.. :( and looking at RS4 intercoolers, it seems they are not easy to source for a good price..sorry Ryan...and I am not sure that they would be an easy fit for the Mk4s, the guys in the states who advertise a good price are not able to supply them and they work out $$$$$ directly from Europe.I obviously have a few front mount options, here are a couple
                            Forge intercooler kit $1395
                            Kinetic motorsports kit $1150
                            EU Tuning
                            www.eutuning.ca
                            slomas@upsolute.com

Comment

nothing like $115 for a new gti intercooler
                              2002 VW Golf GT TDI
                              2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment