Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does every TDI Jetta have a block heater?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does every TDI Jetta have a block heater?

I just bought my TDI a few months ago, but it's a 99.5 model. It doesn't get as cold here in Oklahoma as it does where you Canadians live, but I'd still like to plug in my car if it will be down to 30 or so...
    I'm just not sure if my car has one. I thought maybe all of them do, but from the posts I've read on here, it sounds like it's a dealer-installed option.
    Thanks for the input...

Re: Does every TDI Jetta have a block heater?

yes its dealer install option. i have one, but i never used it. once it was like -35 outside, it took forever before the glow plug light went off, once it did, i crank and it started, it ran on like 2 cylinders (400rpm) for about 30 seconds, then finally went up to like 1500, BUT it started!!!!!
    2002 VW Golf GT TDI
    2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

Originally posted by bart
      yes its dealer install option. i have one, but i never used it. once it was like -35 outside, it took forever before the glow plug light went off, once it did, i crank and it started, it ran on like 2 cylinders (400rpm) for about 30 seconds, then finally went up to like 1500, BUT it started!!!!!
      Degrees C not F.

I started the Jetta all last winter, every day, never had to plug it in.

When I lived in Winnipeg, I had a Maxima, if I didn't plug it in, it wouldn't start.
      KR
      Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Heated Garage Baby =)
        REAL men use harsh language as self-defense
        -james

Comment

Block heaters have never been a dealer option period. The 99.5's came with a oil pan heater that was held on via metal brackets that always broke, then they went to a flexable heater that was glued onto the oilpad, those started a couple fires so they stopped installing them. Your best bet is to head over to tdiheater.com and buy a lower coolant hose heater, that way you have instant heat inside the car when you start it and the engine will be all toasty. They run at about $99US for the kit or you can just go buy everything yourself and save a couple bucks.
          Name: Brent
          His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
          Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
          Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

I'm just a little nervous about mine not starting since it started a little slow yesterday after being out in the cold all day. It'd be nice to plug it in if I could.

Comment

Originally posted by respond2us
              I'm just a little nervous about mine not starting since it started a little slow yesterday after being out in the cold all day. It'd be nice to plug it in if I could.
              I would go with the TDI heater kit then. I have heard they are great. My car sits outside all the time and it started even when it was -40oC last year. Hell it did complain but it started by golly I think I might go collant heater for this winter though so I can have a nice warm interior. Start the car grab snow brush and by the time the car is cleaned off it should be toasty warm
              Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

I have an oilpan heater on mine, used it lots last winter.......I would go with a zerostat heater personally, haven't been motivated to buy one yet.....Look them up, they are the best...
                2006 Colorado Xtreme | AEM CAI | Walker exhaust | smoked glass | -1" dropped rear | Avic D3 | 8000K HID's
                2002 GTI 1.8t | C1 SS | Upsolute 94 oct | Brullen 2.5" DP | Supersprint catback | Poly mounts | 19" Privat's | FK 55 kit | Projector lights | EVOMS CAI
                2000 GSXR750 | Hindle Race exhaust | Telefonica replica | K&N intake | Custom ECU

Comment

I had an oil pan heater and I noticed the car started and run MUCH smoother than when I forgot to plug it in. Course, I smashed my oilpan and by then the dealers didn't have anymore (cause of the recall). I finally bought one but haven't installed it as I kind of like not having the cord. (garage + compustar = less need for plug).

Khyron
                  Geoff
                  Fear is the element that unites all losers.

Comment

Originally posted by Khyron
                    I had an oil pan heater and I noticed the car started and run MUCH smoother than when I forgot to plug it in. Course, I smashed my oilpan and by then the dealers didn't have anymore (cause of the recall). I finally bought one but haven't installed it as I kind of like not having the cord. (garage + compustar = less need for plug).

Khyron
                    The cord is a big issue, last time I had my bumper off I kinda wrapped it up behind the intercooler, so now I can't even exercise the option anymore.
                    KR
                    Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

I have an oil pan heater, but I sheared off the cord somewhere along the line.

Present
                      2010 Audi A4 S-Line
                      2007 VW GTI 2.0T

Past
                      2003 VW Jetta GLI
                      1992 VW Jetta GL
                      1984 VW Rabbit GTI

Comment

Now I'm wondering about the piece glued to my oil pan, are they still safe to use or is it a fire waiting to happen?

Comment

Originally posted by TDI DUB
                          Now I'm wondering about the piece glued to my oil pan, are they still safe to use or is it a fire waiting to happen?
                          I wouldn't worry about it, but if you want to be safe but in the coolant heater. I plan on buying and installing one soon as they are about $60 at crappy tire for the 1000watt heater. Plus my hands are always cold inthe morning

Comment

Today it's about -30 and my jetta will not start. Not sure if i even have a block heater cord, just wondering if there is any other way to get it started, other then a boost with hasn't worked yet....

Comment

wow revival thread
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X